Monday, June 19, 2006

Sami Yusuf's Response...

Peace, one and all...
Follow the link above for Sami's excellent response to Yvonne Ridley's recent criticisms (I offered a few thoughts of my own). This follows on from Mecca 2 Medina's own unique response. Insha Allah, the furore caused by these unfortunate remarks will now die down and we can all get on with the serious business before us: attaining Allah's pleasure through good deeds and worship.
However, if you follow the link to the article (on hahmeed.com, I'm tipping my hat as I type!), you'll see an unfortunate comment by someone called Big Ali C: 'When white people convert to Islam, it worries me'. A very strange comment indeed. Why should it be threatening?
I've heard this kind of view before. I've even been told that my genetic background makes me inherently less of a Muslim. Now, whilst my deeds are poor and I'm in need of Allah's mercy, this is not genetic. Indeed, how could it be when 'No soul shall bear the burden of another'?
This kind of thinking lies behind my own rejection of the ideas of the Nation of Islam (and other groups influenced by them). Namely, that white people are genetically inclined to wickedness. A learned man once told me that thought that any philosophy built upon genetic ideas (as determining salvation) was haram and that certainly made sense to me.
Ma'as salama,
Abdur Rahman

1 Comments:

At Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:56:00 pm, Blogger Mone said...

I agree with your observation, Sami Yusuf represent the new generation of hope and positive outlook on life in general. I hope he doesn't get discouraged by such negative remarks, but instead rise and get more positive power to launch ahead with more beautiful music

 

Post a Comment

<< Home