Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Purification of the Heart

Peace, one and all...
My wife recently purchased a copy of Imam al-Mawlud's Matharat al-Qulub, translated with a commentary by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf (as Purification of the Heart). To date, I've not really been able to do anything more than dip into it. It's a work of deep and profound insight and so in the future, I think I might offer some excerpts from it.
However, for now I think I'll content myself with quoting some of the Hadiths mentioned in the translator's introduction. These ahadith are particularly germane to the subjects of my recent posts, namely the soundness of the heart. Making the heart sound and clean is one of the most important tasks I face as a Muslim and so learning how to go about it is essential. Mevlana Rumi hits the spot: "Bring the Heart, you who are bent double ... I look to the Heart: bring it, poor soul, as a gift to My door" (Mathnawi V.881-888). So, learning how to bring my poor heart to God as an acceptable gift is the lesson before me.
In my last post I referred to what appears to be a forthcoming change or development. Upon reflection, I think that this has something to do with my internal focus. I want to embark on an internal journey; I'm beginning to feel pulled towards the serious work of self-purification. I'm not ready yet, I still realise that. But, I'm being drawn towards it, slowly and surely. Al hamdu lillah, I am content: all is as Allah has planned.
Anyway, enough of my inane waffle, let's get on with the serious business...

'On the Day of Judgement no one is safe save the one who returns to God with a sound heart' (al-Quran al-Karim)

'Surely in the breasts of humanity is a lump of flesh, if sound then the whole body is sound, and if corrupt then the whole body is corrupt. Is it not the heart?' (A saying of Prophet Muhammad )
'Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God' (Jesus, alayhis salaam)
Ma'as salama,
Abdur Rahman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home