Friday, April 28, 2006

Waiting for the Train

Salaams, one and all...
It's friday evening again (yipee)! Actually, it's almost 8pm and for some strange reason, I'm still in the office (I have no life)! Well, I got talking to a colleague and lost track of time. As I catch the train home, I have to wait a while for the next one. Thus, I'm stuck here for a bit. I don't mind too much though. It's the May Day bank holiday here in the UK and so I'm looking forward to a nice long weekend away from work.
Not that I've been working much in the last couple of hours. This week has been busy, having said that. I've still not quite finished some stuff for my last lecture on tuesday. Agghh!!! That reminds me. I need to get some material together so that I can prepare! Well, most of it's at home (phew). And, fortunately, I was reading one book on the train this morning: A. Saeed and H. Saeed's Freedom of Religion, Apostasy and Islam. I have to say I've enjoyed the first couple of chapters, esepcially the overview of the theological and religious contexts of early Islamic history. The authors make their own positions clear: to boot, they're against the death penalty for apostasy and they intend to demonstrate that it goes against the Quran and Sunnah. They argue (not sure how successfully yet) that the death penalty was imposed during the classical period in response to certain political, social and religious contexts. Well, let's see what their argument is.
The time's getting on a bit and so I need to get to the station now. So, I'll say ma'as salama and make like a tree and leave!
Abdur Rahman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home