Tuesday, September 27, 2005

New Horizons

As salaamu alaikum one and all,
In recent weeks, I've been turning to new projects and new horizons. I thought, therefore, that I'd keep the world informed of them (as if anyone's watching!)
September is here and so to is the imminent arrival of the new academic year. The new students are arriving even as I speak (or type) and the department is a hive of frenetic activity in readiness for the new year's business. I always enjoy this time of year: I suppose it's because it always reminds me of my own student days. At any rate, the arrival of new, fresh-faced 18 year olds reminds me of new opportunities, new possibilities. It's an enjoyable, if rather busy, time of year.
I've also started a number of projects myself in recent weeks. Firstly, my Introduction to Islam course has started at the Centre for Lifelong Learning. Al hamdu lillah, it seems to have sufficient numbers to run this time. Although I really enjoy teaching, such courses fill me with a certain amount of trepidation. I want the course to succeed and I want the students to become as enthused by the topic as I am. This means that I feel nervous beforehand. On one level, that's a good thing - after all, it shows that it means something to me. However, it does leave me feeling rather drained, emotionally and physically. All in all though, it's good to be teaching again.
I've also just started a Hanafi fiqh course with sunnipath.com I've been looking for a Hanafi fiqh course for a while, so I'm glad to have finally found one. Moreover, I've heard lots of good things about sunnipath.com. It seems well organised for an Islamic educational establishment (which is a rather unusual and welcome change). I'll post more of thoughts once the course gets underway, God willing.
Thirdly, I'm about to start an Arabic language course at work. Although it's in Modern Standard Arabic, as opposed to Classical Arabic, I'm really looking forward to it. Al hamdu lillah, as a Co-ordinating Lecturer I don't have to pay - which is great (being an old skinflint)! It's all part of the plan to start a PhD in the next year in early Islamic history, which is nice!
Anyway, enough of my ramblings for now...
Ma'as salama,
Abdur Rahman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home